Monday, December 15, 2008

Uncharted

Angela Hunt is an author who likes to play with your mind. The cover of Uncharted says "expect the unexpected" and that could be said of any of her novels. The stories aren't always pretty, and you won't necessarily agree with her theology/worldview, but that's part of the attraction.

There are authors I read for their luscious writing, and others I read when I want to spend some time in someone else's head. Some are good for a laugh, some make history come alive, and some play games with you. Angela Hunt is definitely a game player.

I started Uncharted, thinking I knew where this story was going, but discovered that my ending was really just the introduction for the real story. Basically some 25 years after college, a formerly inseparable group of friends re-united. The cast includes your typical prom-queen, a jock, an over-achiever, a rebel, Mr. Ambition, and the peacemaker who held the group together. The friends went out on a boat and ended up in trouble on an island...but the similarity to Gilligan's Island ends there.

I can't tell you a whole lot more about the plot without ruining it for you. I can tell you that I've seen people get mad reading this book, and I've seen people who loved it. I haven't met anyone who read it without reacting to it. You won't be blown away by her writing style or her characterizations, but if you want to play head games, Angela Hunt is an author for you.

Uncharted by Angela Hunt. Published in 2006 by West Bow. ISBN: 0-8499-4484-8.

No comments: